Oman closes off largest free zone after a spate of new infections

      Published on Friday, 12 June , 2020      1709 Views     
Oman closes off largest free zone after a spate of new infections

  • Business

Oman will close off the coastal city of Duqm and its free zone, the largest in the country, for three weeks from Saturday after a spate of new coronavirus infections there, the ministry of health said.

The measure was announced as the sultanate reported 1,000-plus new cases on Thursday, but its total remains lower than other Gulf states except Bahrain. Saudi Arabia, which has the highest number of cases, reported a new record daily increase with 3,733 more confirmed infections, raising its tally to 116,021.

The Saudi health ministry said 38 more people died since Wednesday, taking the kingdom’s total Covid-19 deaths to 857.

Qatar, where infections have been rising steeply, announced 1,476 new cases and three more fatalities on Thursday, bringing the respective totals to 75,071 and 69.

Bahrain’s ministry of health reported 468 new Covid-19 cases and one more death on Thursday. It said 378 people have recovered, raising the recovery total to 11,487 out of the 16,667 cases reported so far, according to a tally kept by John Hopkins University.

The total number of cases in Kuwait rose to 34,432 with 609 new cases reported on Thursday, while the death toll rose by four to 279. Total recoveries rose by 849 to 24,137, the Kuwaiti health ministry said.

Although cases in Oman are comparatively low, the health ministry on Thursday ordered Duqm to be “closed from the rest of the country from June 13 to July 3 to control the rate of infection in the area”.

“Increase in the spread of the virus outside Muscat is due to the lack of physical distancing,” state TV quoted Health Minister Ahmed Al Saeedi as saying.

The free zone in Duqm hosts more than $10 billion worth of investments, including a ship repair yard, an oil refinery, logistics centre, manufacturing units and a dry dock.

Oman has two other free zones – Sohar to the north and Salalah in the southern governorate of Dhofar.



The sultanate’s health ministry announced that 1,311 more Covid-19 patients had recovered – nearly double the 689 recoveries reported on Wednesday. The total number of recoveries so far stands at 5,640.

Keywords:
Category Business, Oman News | 2020/06/12 latest update at 5:00 PM
Source : The National | Photocredit : Google
1710 Views
Comments Add comment



Gulf Media

Related Articles

The editorial staff of Oman Today would like to give all of its readers from Oman and Gulf and the whole world the opportunity to participate actively in the development of the website! If you have something interesting, fun, scandalous - just something worth to be seen from more people. Capture it and share it in the Oman Today with a short text.

Do you have information you want to reach our readers?

Send article/s

You can subscribe to our Facebook, Twitter pages or use our RSS feed channel to always read the most important news about Oman, the Gulf and the world.